The house originally consisted of two storeys. The top storey was, however, blown off by hurricane, about 1898, and it was never replaced. The structure is of wattle and daub construction with timber floors and English tiling. The doors of the building are of solid raised panel mahogany. The windows are predominantly sashed, with later modifications, including jalousies. The interior of the house has mahogany arches, which separates the living and dining rooms.
There is veranda, enclosed by a set of square wooden columns, along the entire northern end of the building. It was designed to provide adequate ventilation and sunlight, as well as privacy. There is a projected entrance portico, which forms the landing for bifurcated cut stone steps. The roof finish is of cedar shingles, with a distinct cap and comb feature. There are two pronounced finials at the gabled ends on the eastern and western side of the roof and aluminium gutters in the valley. The floor has a stained timber finish.
This site is now operated as a heritage attraction.
Share this Post